People usually ask me what I’m cooking and how did I prepare some of the meals I share on my social media accounts. And the truth is I never really know. My husband will ask me, how long I cooked something before only to receive a blank stare back from me. Silly I know. But, I get in the kitchen, I feel like everything says turn to over between 375-400, and usually 20-30ish minutes! Hilarious! Reading this sounds so silly, so I am working on it. But what you will never have is under cooked food at my home.
Anyway, I am trying to do better and actually pay attention to the time and settings of the oven or stove.
Below you will find the recipe for my cheese taco skillet. As I try to low carb it for a little while, I am trying to be creative in my choices. This one was pretty good. I even added sour cream to it a couple of days and I didn’t even miss nachos or a taco shell.
Good luck on your dish!
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- taco seasoning (season to taste/ I used less than half of the package)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and jack cheese
- 1 can diced tomatoes (optional- my dish does not have tomatoes)
- In a large pan, lightly brown ground beef and crumble well. Drain excess fat.
- Add onions and peppers, and cook until browned.
- Add canned tomatoes (if you are using them), taco seasoning, and any water needed for taco seasoning to evenly coat mixture
- Mix well
- Cover with shredded cheese and let cheese melt.
- When cheese is melted, serve over a bed of lettuce, rice, in a taco or burrito OR on wedges of bell peppers.
- I meant to add spinach to my mix, but I forgot. Add some to yours after the taco seasoning. Let them wilt fully